Ubisoft has delayed shutting down online services for some of its older games

Ubisoft has postponed the shutdown of online services for a number of its older games.

The publisher announced in July that it would decommission servers for 15 games on September 1.

However, the “decommissioning” process has now been postponed to October 1, after which owners will no longer be able to play multiplayer for several Assassin’s Creed titles, Far Cry 3, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Driver San Francisco and Prince of Persia : The Forgotten Sands. , among other games.

Skull and Bones: PC Features Trailer

Additionally, Ubisoft said in July that owners of some of the PC titles included in the shutdown will no longer be able to install or access DLC, while Ghost Recon Future Soldier’s single-player campaign will only work in offline mode.

In addition to a revised shutdown date, Ubisoft has announced further changes to the exact services that will be impacted by the move, with DLC for select titles that will now remain available to players.

“The decommissioning of online services for older games is not something we take lightly, but it is also a necessity as the technology that powered these services becomes obsolete. Over the past month, our teams have been working hard to explore what is possible to reduce disruption,” he said.

“As a result, we have moved the retirement date from September 1, 2022 to October 1, 2022, and single-player downloadable content (DLC) for several PC games – Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, Assassin’s Creed III (2012 release), Far Cry 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist – can be downloaded and stored before then.

“If you own these games on PC, activate your DLC before the decommissioning on October 1, 2022 to continue playing them. There will be no impact on the same single-player DLC on consoles, and you can continue to download and to play it after October 1, 2022. You can find out more in an update from the Assassin’s Creed team.

“Additionally, there is still an active game team working on Anno at Ubisoft Mainz, and a working group was dedicated to rolling out an update to Anno 2070 that will upgrade the game and replace its older services. online, allowing players to enjoy its online features in the future.”

This will be Ubisoft’s second round of server shutdowns this year. In April, it shut down multiplayer games for titles such as Avatar, Rainbow Six Vegas and Rainbow Six Vegas 2, marking the end of the ability to officially play those games online.

Ubisoft has delayed shutting down online services for some of its older games

Earlier this week it was claimed that the next Assassin’s Creed game is called Assassin’s Creed Mirage and is set to release in Spring 2023.

Ubisoft said it plans to “unveil the future of Assassin’s Creed” in September, when it hosts a multi-game showcase.

Veronica J. Snell