Senior Navy civilian sentenced for accepting bribes from port service company

A former naval senior civilian faces 25 years in prison after being sentenced last month for accepting bribes from the owner of a Korean port services company, according to the Justice Department.

Fernando Xavier Monroy, 64, was convicted Aug. 19 in federal court of bribery, conspiracy to bribe, and misrepresentation for crimes that occurred while he was director of operations for the office of the Military Sealift Command in Busan, South Korea.

According to the Justice Department and court records, Monroy conspired with the owner of DK Marine, a port operating company based in South Korea, to “illegally provide services” to a Navy freighter during a visit to Chinhae Port in December 2013.

Monroy provided the owner of DK Marine with “confidential and other inside US Navy information” about the port visits, according to court records and a statement announcing the sentencing.

In return, the owner provided Monroy with money, meals, alcohol, personal travel expenses, and prostitutes.

According to a 2020 Defense Criminal Investigative Service agent affidavit, DK Marine owner Sung Yol “David” Kim told officers that he and Monroy went to “bedroom lounges” where prostitutes could be hired at least 10 times.

“Monroy asked Kim to pay for ‘seconds,’ meaning prostitution services, and Kim complied,” the agent wrote in the affidavit. “Kim has also provided over $30,000 in ‘loans’ to Monroy, all but one of which have not been repaid, and paid for plane tickets and hotel rooms for Monroy on personal trips that they performed together.”

Civilian captain of the ship in dry dock Charles Drew, who was the focus of the December 2013 port visit, also told authorities of his role in the plot, court records show.

Kim emailed Monroy in early 2011 and called him big brother, according to the affidavit.

“Let’s make some real money now bro!” Kim wrote, the affidavit states.

Monroy also repeatedly lied to federal agents during a July 2019 interview, according to the department.

Monroy, of Brentwood, New York, held the position from 2006 to 2014 and is due to be sentenced on November 18.

His defense attorney listed in court records did not respond to a request for comment.

Monroy was arrested in the Philippines in September 2020, according to media reports.

News of Monroy’s sentencing comes as the proverbial commander of the Navy Port Services corruption scandals, “Fat Leonard” Glenn Francis, remained at large on Wednesday after disappearing from house arrest in San Diego on Sunday.

Authorities say Francis may have already crossed the Mexican border and could be on his way back to Asia, The Associated Press reported Tuesday.

Francis was due to be sentenced in the coming weeks after pleading guilty to defrauding the Navy of more than $35 million and bribing dozens of officers in the Western Pacific.

Geoff is a senior reporter for the Military Times, specializing in the navy. He has covered Iraq and Afghanistan extensively and was recently a reporter for the Chicago Tribune. He welcomes all kinds of advice at [email protected]

Veronica J. Snell