Epic Games now requires Epic Online Services
Epic Games now requires users to install Epic Online Services to properly use the launcher. Here’s how to fix the blank screen that prevents users from installing this new service.
When users launch the Epic Games Launcher, they are greeted with a message that says, “Installation of Epic Online Services is required – you will not receive any launcher updates until Epic Online Services is installed.” Please see the settings menu.
Epic Online Services is Epic’s cross-platform API that was originally developed for Fortnite but was later released for use by all developers.
âEpic Online Services are free, cross-platform services that make it easier and faster for developers to launch, operate and scale high-quality games. As a game developer ourselves, we have solved a lot of difficult issues over the years. With Epic Online Services, we share the fruits of our labor with the rest of the development community â, explains an Epic Games help article.
âEpic Online Services will run on any engine, any store, and are designed to integrate with any major platform. With just one SDK, you can easily access all the services that Epic offers.
With the release of Epic Games Launcher 13.0.0 update, Epic now requires all users to install Epic Online Services as a prerequisite for using the launcher.
“To ensure that you can continue to use the Epic Games Launcher, we recommend that you complete the installation of the Epic Online Services as soon as possible. This can be done in a few steps from the Epic Games Launcher settings menu,” we read. another Epic Games help document.
How to install Epic Online Services
When you start Epic Games Launcher, users are now greeted with the above message that says they need to install Epic Online Services.
However, the Epic Games launcher will be stuck on a blank screen, preventing you from accessing the Settings screen.
Fortunately, it is possible to go to the Settings screen and install Epic Online Services by doing the following:
- Right click on the Epic Games Launcher icon in your Windows system tray and select Home, Library, or Store options to open that section of the launcher.
- When the Epic Games launcher switches to this section, you can now scroll down and go to the Settings screen.
- When the settings are open, click the âInstall Nowâ button to install Epic Online Services as shown below.
- After clicking the Install button, you will see a Windows notification that Epic Online Services is being installed and the installer will start.
- Once the installer is finished, quit and restart the Epic Games Launcher. The Epic Online Services installation prompt will now be gone.
You can now use Epic Games Launcher and play your games as usual.